How to supplement knowledge of it infrastructure to make it complete?
Once the IT Asset Management process is implemented in a company, the question arises, how to update the knowledge of IT infrastructure to make it complete? The answer is simple – by implementing the CMDB process.
In a previous article, we described ITAM, which concerned the inventory of IT assets in an organization. However, the knowledge base needs to be completed. Configuration Management Database (CMDB) is a process that aims to maintain an up-to-date and consistent database containing information about all configuration elements (CI) in an organization.
The OXARI CMDB system allows you to enter the required data according to a defined schema, which is essential for the proper flow of information.
Below are the main elements of the process:
- identification and registration of configuration elements (CI) – elements such as servers, network devices, software are identified and registered in the system
- categorization and classification of configuration elements – each configuration element is categorized and classified based on certain criteria, such as type, status, location, owner, etc.
- linking of configuration elements – configuration elements are linked relationally to other elements to create a consistent map of the organization’s infrastructure
- monitoring and updating of configuration elements – once the database is created, the CMDB process requires continuous monitoring and updating of information on configuration elements
- change management – the CMDB database is used to manage changes in the organization, such as software upgrades, hardware changes, etc.